Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 22:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
Hey, guys! Pleased to meet you.

In 2009 I spent 80 hours reviewing the scientific literature supporting the reigning medical establishment's position that dietary fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol are detrimental to cardiovascular health.

I found the evidence weak or nonexistent.

This was the key to opening up the low-carb world to me.

Sure, I had seen plenty of people, including some of my patients, lose lots of weight and keep it off eating low-carb. But I always worried about low-carb diets promoting hardening of the arteries, which could lead to premature heart attacks and strokes, even death.

I don't worry about that anymore.

I believe there are several types of underlying physiology that lead to overweight and obesity. So the best therapeutic approach to overweight varies from person to person. For example, some do best with a balanced but calorie-restricted diet, others do better with pure carbohydrate restriction. "One size fits all" doesn't apply.

My particular interests at this point are:

-----how to overcome the high drop-out rate seen with low-carb eating
-----low-carb recipes
-----application of low-carb eating to people with type 2 diabetes, overweight or not

Starting September 1, 2009, I've been eating very low-carb - 20 to 30 grams a day - and lost 15 pounds (6.8 kg). Granted, I didn't have much to lose in the first place. I'm in the midst of figuring out whether to add back some fruits, vegetables, legumes, or whole grains - and how much.

"Thank you" to the owners and administrators of this website and forum. I'm sure I'll gain valuable knowledge here that I would not be able to access otherwise.

-Steve Parker, M.D.

We are so glad that you are here, Doctor Parker. There are other doctors in our community that we can link to you. We want more of you who take the time to learn what matters to our health and low fat just ain't cutting it. I for one, willbe starting a support group at the local WHole Foods Market in Ja uary. I have been low carbing for a tad over 7 years. I now combine low carbing with intermittent fasting, which I added 2 1/2 years ago.

I avoid wheat ,rice, potatoes etc but I do consume flax ( often defined as the low carb grain ).There are so many low carb vegetables and fruits in existance there really is no need to restrict these.

One way to avoid dropping out is learning to enjoy condemned foods such as a T bone steak topped with bleu cheese, with a side of shrimp and asparagus. People try too hard to make this a diet and not a lifestyle. They are afraid to eat butter or cream. The think of the low carb diet as a diet absent of vegetables and fruit. People don't really appreciate the fact that sugar is a poison and should look at it in such a manner. Heck, we have been brainwashed to believe that fat kills. Now it's time to learn that sugar kills. Doctor Parker, I recommend the book "The Brain Trust Program" by Dr. Larry Mcleary. The reason I recommend this book is because if you follow his guidelines to achieve optimal brain health, you will be living a low carb lifestyle. He also addresses perimenopause/menopause symptoms and why they benefit from low carb/ketogenic diets. Thanks for joining us Doc.