Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Independent
Stats: 200/200/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
This is so interesting - I'd love to know which amino acids are converted to glucose. Just so you know, I'm not struggling with carbs vs fat. I know my body works best with 65-75% fat each day and I'm almost always in the 65-68% range. In terms of carbs, I try to keep them as low as possible (20-30 per day currently) with protein as the remainder. This equates to 85-100 grams protein per day (I shoot for 90). My lean mass is ~100 lbs, according to one of those not particularly accurate fat % scales at the gym. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Personally? No. I think everyone should be totally zero carb with about 80/20 ratio, but that's my personal opinion.

I can't completely back that up yet as I haven't done my own scientific studies to confirm this. This will be the basis of my dissertation in post-grad. school coming up. What I have studied does lead to conclude, however, that any amount of carbs (over 5 grams...the few in eggs or even lettuce aren't a big deal if you don't eat a lot of that stuff) is poison. It's like the difference between one drink of liquor and 10. 1 is still poisonous, it's just less of it.

However, you should continue to do what you think is best for you.

Amino Acid Catabolism

This shows which amino acids turn into ketones and which turn into glucose. Some are capable of both.