View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Almond flour is a useful addition, with some care. Most people find nuts can be easily over-indulged in, and thus, potential stallers. This goes multiple-so for nut flours, which have even more nuts per serving!

It also lends a crumbly texture, which is just what you might want for shortbread-type cookies and muffins, but less so for sandwich wraps.

I get the best results with a mix of almond flour, coconut flour, and protein powder (depending on the final product.) It's great to have a recipe I can whip up to bring to parties or have during the holidays. The amazing thing is that when I eat such goodies, I'm "normal." I can have a serving, and STOP. It is an awesome, occasional, treat.

Here's my recipe for Sorta Shortbread

I find that low carb treats are far better than the high carb kind, and it was a revelation to enjoy a treat-like food without losing my mind and my grip. And it has its uses for savory things, too, like salmon patties or crab cakes, though now I'm just as likely to use crushed pork rinds.

But I've also gotten away from such things. I'm dealing with a health issue and I don't have the time. I've gotten much more Paleo and no longer use artificial sweeteners, so I'd have to recast my recipes with honey or maple syrup, with more carbs (though my taste for sweet has become hugely sensitive and I'd probably use very little.) And I don't miss it, either, which is fine.

I had a lot of fun learning to cook with such recipes, and adjusting my, previously-awesome, baking skills into low carb channels taught me even more. And when I've got more energy, and social occasions are upon me, I'll have a good reason to explore such things again.

So I would say the advice to wait until the Nut Rung of Atkins is a very good one. Getting a grip on cravings and not using treats like rewards is another excellent lesson to teach ourselves. Because while they are more nutritious than the wheat & sugar toxin bombs our society is used to handing out constantly, they are less nutritious than the whole foods we should make the overwhelming majority of our diet.