View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 14:23

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

One thing I would urge is that you do not mentally buy into the idea that there is a slippery slope. Rather than accepting that one thing must lead to another, it might be better to manage each event individually, not as part of an inevitable sequence. The reason I say this is that we know part of what happens when we start eating our weight back up the scale is that somehow we give in to the idea that once we make some small misteps we might as well throw in the towel. It is not a conscious decision but an instinct; I have been there before often enough after diets, and I used to think there was no answer--you just accept it and allow the slope to carry you. The trouble with thinking there is a slope is that in real life, if we are on a real slippery slope of, say, mud, there really is nothing we can do once we start sliding--we just have to lie back, because we cannot fight gravity. But I think this is really not a matter of a physical slippery slope but of a mental switching off.

So the thing is maybe to do all you can to talk to yourself--in narratives that will get you through temptation. I have written about how my main issue has been putting too much on my plate. My way around it has been to note the times when that tends to happen and to have ready-made narratives at the back of my mind to get me through those moments. Basically, I explain to myself that the amount of fat and protein in my food will satisfy me within fifteen minutes and leave me back in full control--so this stops me serving/taking the extra food ... it just takes me across a dangerous gap in which appetite can create dysfunctional choices. Your case is different, but I suggest maybe you go think back through those incidents when you have taken/served yourself the carb crap and then build a narrative to resort to when those moments come up again. For example, if you have a place at work where this stuff is available, start talking to yourself before you even go to that place and as you enter it. If there is a time in a restaurant when the temptation comes up, have a mental system ready to defend yourself against it, cued by the dangerous trigger. We are all different, but if it were me I would be talking myself through the advantages and healthiness of my preferred dietary choices. Maybe I would be picturing the next time I have the chance to eat appropriately and then girding myself to wait the small amount of time until that reward. So, there might be a cupcake on the table at work; but as I approach it I would be picturing my dinner at home in an hour and a half.

My comments may not be useful in your case, but I do think our internal narratives are important and that they can be pre-constructed to fall back on in an emergency. Best of luck. The fact you are talking about it here means you are not giving in to this flashback behaviour.