#48   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 09:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
Its more than just the intellect..........the chemistry....there is an emotional part of us that needs to be addressed as well....a part of us that even chemistry cant explain....biochemistry doesnt provide all the answers.....just some helpful ones..

I have to say that for me, at least, I always thought of it as a emotional problem, I wrestled with it as an emotional problem, and I conquered it as an emotional problem; and I stopped binging/starving. In my early twenties.

However, I spent the next two decades still struggling to find a way of eating that wasn't a freakin' constant struggle. The answer lay in chemistry.

As Hutch said:

Quote:
When the two halves of your brain are linked effectively the control of impulsivity, the urge to do something you know is fundamentally wrong for you, is reduced because the "off switch" operates BEFORE you have a chance to debate mentally about whether to give in to temptation or not.

While I was aware of the emotional pressures pushing me to eat; it was because of chemistry. Eating sugar and wheat has a narcotic effect on my brain. This is science!

Eliminating the sugar and wheat eliminated the emotion. And the emotional struggle.

It's not a character issue. It's a biochemical issue.

Yes, mentally, I have some grooved impulses that makes me think of eating to solve stress. But I no longer have a section of my brain jumping up and down and yelling YES YES GIVE ME THE DRUG that would override my common sense. I've been back on track for a year now, and I'm attributing that to mental factors such as better understanding of how food affects my brain.

When I leave certain foods alone, they leave me alone.