View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 08:00

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I don't know anything about adrenal gland fatigue, but I agree with Amanda about caffeine having a negative effect on the body. I drank coffee for over 40 years and finally realized that it was contributing to my irregular heartbeat (though unfortunately it wasn't the cause ) it made my breasts hurt because of fibrocystic breast 'disease', it made me edgy and fidgety and ruined my sleep. So even though I absolutely love coffee, I had to get off the caffeine.

I did it exactly the same way you did Amanda, by making a mix of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffees, slowly decreasing regular coffee and increasing decaf. Now I am on straight decaf and finally the headaches are gone. It took a long time to make the change and I still miss the flavor and kick of regular coffee, but its not worth the way caffeine effects me.

One thing I have to advise though... when you do get off caffeine, be very careful about ordering coffee in a restaurant. There have been quite a few times when I thought I was drinking decaf only to find myself feeling jittery in an hour or so and completely unable to sleep that night. I miss lingering over a cup of coffee while visiting with a friend and I haven't found a suitable substitute when I'm at a restaurant, but I have decided not to order coffee any more because the person who serves it really doesn't care whether you get regular or decaf.

I have the book you recommend Amanda, Schwarzbein's 2nd book, but I have not read it yet. That will be the first book I read in 2010. Happy New Year!!