View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 18:01
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

The thing that jumps out at me here is that the cortisol is high, which is usually a lifestyle thing. I skimmed back through Chapters 4-6 of SP II, and here are a few relevant quotes:

Quote:
Cortisol also blocks the uptake of sugar into your muscle cells, which keeps more sugar in your bloodstream and makes it more available for brain fuel.

Quote:
Symptoms of chronic high cortisol levels [include] high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Quote:
Why the body secretes cortisol in higher levels: Stresses, including:
-- depression, mental stresses, or other mental concerns
-- doing too many things or keeping busy all day long

You talk about "before the baby", so I assume the baby's fairly new? A new baby's a pretty stressful event on a variety of levels . A crying baby is an acute stressor, and months of being woken two or three times during the night add up to more sleep deprivation than you think. Plus, babies tend to eat into your relaxation time, and if you're a stress-monkey like me, you need that more than you realize!

If it were me, and I weren't experiencing any other physical symptoms to give concern, I'd probably just keep on like I've been doing for a couple more months and see if things straighten themselves out as the baby gets older. Those numbers aren't really all that far out of normal, and since you're young and healthy, I'd think it's worth the risk of waiting a few more months to see if this is just a temporary upswing or a trend. I probably wouldn't go tinkering with your diet too much, either, beyond making sure you're not eating too little or too much and that your food is all healthy. However, that's just my opinion, so YMMV .