View Single Post
  #751   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 07:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I finally had an opportunity to read the Stefansson articles that Bear gave a link to a while back : I think if everyone here read these writings, they might understand a little better what Bear has been trying to explain. It definately explains some of the "culturalization" he's been trying to get across, at least to me. One group of Eskimoes that Stefansson lived with ate almost nothing but boiled fish for most of the year, and Steffanson himself adopted this diet, thinking at first how horrible it would be to eat the same thing, every meal, day after day, year after year. But, after a period of weeks or months, he came to look forward to, and enjoy, these bare meals. Even the salt addiction eventually passed.

The problem we have today is the temptation of other foods constantly around us. Stefansson referred to this, describing the "adaptation" period of other non-native exploreres, and how during the first weeks on just seal or whatever they would have gladly returned to 'civilized' food if they could have.

Now maybe if we were to be dropped off at a remote lake in Canada with nothing but a fishing pole for a month, we'd make it over the "hump". The carnivore-diet 'boot camp'.
Sponsored Links