#5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 20:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I'm just wondering now, when I am successful and get back to my normal weight, I'm 57, what are the odds my skin will go back to normal?

I notice the weight loss in my face and my 2nd chin is starting to hang down like a little bag now

Is there anything I can do to minimize the effect?

Bill

How long have you been the size you were (290 lbs) ? I think that can have an affect on outcome as well. Not much you can do about it till you see where you land Certainly don't let it be a determining factor on regaining your health.

I think an old member here (old to me anyway) and one that I hope is still alive or if there is a heaven looking down on us, said...

"i treat mine as battle scars but mine are easily covered." Now that is an outstanding attitude! http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462446

My skin has bounced back pretty good. I'm sure there some genetic luck involved but one thing I think I've done differently than most here is cut way back on protein for the second year of my journey, mostly ala Fung. As I understand it the majority of protein (amino acids) in our body is recycled. Skin is made of protein.

Also, I've been very physically active which may have promoted keeping more muscle mass up as it was continually activated and skin just sort of was getting a free ride so some was expendable (hypothesis)

Another observation from reading and I find it true for myself and I think Ken might have observed this too is that as fat is lost, the supporting structure (fat) that kept the skin taught has been lost, there is still A LOT of fat left in your remaining skin and gravity has not changed so the "hanging" tissue is both skin and fat, mostly fat really. As the fat melts away the skin appears to "tighten" but it's really just not being pulled down so hard by the extra attached fat.

These are just my wacky theories. If you seach around the internets you'll get thousands more. Pick one you agree with

Let us know how it goes and if you find a solution!