#12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 18:59

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac

I'm wondering how the doc diagnosed fatty liver? If all is normal, how did he find that the liver was not normal? For high cholesterol, I would personally ignore that diagnosis, but if I'm not mistaken high cholesterol used to be a marker for low thyroid function so if you're worried about that it's a simple test and an equally simple fix - just eat more iodine. On the other hand low-carb will cause cholesterol to rise somewhat. It's important to keep in mind that when we talk about cholesterol, we don't talk about cholesterol, instead we talk about lipoproteins. It's also important to know which type of test the doc used to measure it. There's the actual, then there's the estimated/calculated. If it's the estimated/calculated, ignore it, low-carb makes that test lie. Finally, when it comes to lipoproteins, what matters most is particle size, not particle quantity. The bigger the lipoproteins, the better. Low-carb just happens to make these bigger, which is one reason it makes the estimated/calculated test lie. The thing about particle size is that smaller lipoproteins are more easily oxidized and that's a bad thing, or at least that's how I understand it.

Anyways, if the article is correct about low-carb, B vitamins and folic acid to fix fatty liver, I wouldn't worry about a thing if you're been doing LC for the past 6 years. Which means either the doc misdiagnosed fatty liver, or there's something else going on and you should figure out what it is and then fix that.

It was the radiologist who identified the fatty liver from the ultrasound.

I found a website with images called (I kid you not!) www.fatty-liver.com . While the website has some good information, the "cure" requires eating less fat!