View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 04:13

Plan: Fung, Rosedale
Stats: 236/195/157 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you Janet for the links and of course for the HOMA-IR calculation idea. This would be so simple if insulin could be checked as easily as the glucose.

Even though the glucose tolerance test is long and cumbersome, it can be done at home. The only problem with the test is that it requires the ingestion of 75g of glucose (with water) in one go. For those with bad insulin resistance, the glucose level rises too high to be very safe. Therefore, the resistance needs to be brought down somewhat to be able to perform the test safely.

Dr Ron Rosedale had a simpler idea. Rather than use 75g of glucose for the test, he uses a toast (maybe a couple), about 25g of carbohydrate. This would be much safer. He can do this because due to the number of patients he had, he knew what was a normal response. Unfortunately, he has not disclosed the normal curve of glucose response to the 25g of carbohydrate.

On my next regular blood test I will ask my doctor to test for fasting insulin as well so I can calculate the HOMA-IR. I will see if it correlates with my glucose tolerance test. Unfortunately, my next regular blood test is only due next March. But, by that time I might have some better results.

PS: Jenet, the 2nd link about IR is actually about eating low carb.