#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-01, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question

Hi, all!

Just thinking out loud here. I'm planning a trip to England next month, and I'm already concerned about my ability to stay on low-carb while I'm there. I'll be staying with friends who are big bread-and-potato eaters, fairly light on the protein, and while they're totally considerate about other peoples' needs, they're not going to change their way of eating just for me! So I'll be eating other people's cooking for a couple of weeks, and I'm a bit worried about it.

We'll probably eat out a few times. In the evenings it won't be a problem, but cheap (i.e. affordable) lunches usually involve sandwiches, fish and chips, baked beans, pasta, and other stodgy things.

Any ideas about dealing with Other People's Cooking? And what to do when the people you're with want to eat lunch in a pub or sandwich bar? (I hate beer, so at least avoiding that particular temptation won't be a problem!)

I'm thinking about bringing a few things with me - maybe some Splenda, soy and whey protein powders, and some Atkins bars (I don't like them much, and I know they have more carbs than the label states, but they're better than a high-carb alternative!). I think I'm not allowed to bring meat or dairy into the UK, so I can't bring jerky snacks, unfortunately (does anyone know about this?).

I might also pick up a carb-blocker, which I wouldn't normally use, but "just in case." Can anyone recommend one they've found effective?

I figure I should be reasonable with myself, aim to maintain and not to lose, and not drive myself crazy worrying about 'hidden carbs' in processed meats, restaurant foods, etc.

Any advice appreciated. And any of you folks across the pond, if you know of any shopping/restaurant tips for low-carbing in Britain, that'd be great! I lived in London for four years, so I know some of the ropes, but I never low-carbed there.

Well, I feel better already! Thanks for reading this ramble!

Rachel

Sponsored Links