View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 08:48

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Although nonsignificant (p = 0.06), meta-analysis found UFA replacement to reduce total cholesterol concentrations by 10.68 mg/dL (95%CI -21.90 to 0.53). Reductions in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides were statistically nonsignificant.

True. Nonsignificant means they can't show it was anything beyond random chance. And if total cholesterol actually is being reduced by reduced saturated fat intake while LDL remains the same, that could be an ominous sign that the reduction is in HDL, the one doctors don't like to see go down. Not good. I had high cholesterol and tried a seriously reduced saturated fat replaced by olive oil etc. (still very low carb) plan. Yes, LDL was reduced some, but my desirable HDL plummetted like a rock. Adding back saturated fats restored it (along with LDL too). Incidentally my sky-high LDL dropped way back down when I adopted a low-lectin eating plan (Dr. Gundry's Plant Paradox program). So something else (lectins) seemed to be the cause of my high cholesterol, but HDL appears heavily influenced by saturated fat and not in a good way when dietary saturated fat is reduced.