View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-15, 13:12
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

That was an issue with me - not only on weekends - but in the evenings, too. I spent much of my life grabbing a little bite here and there every time I walked into the kitchen. I was feeding my cravings back then, but those bad eating habits carried over into my new way of eating. And since I'm no longer craving food and I have satiety from the meals that I do it - that's exactly what it was... a bad eating habit.

When I was a kid my family had no problems with raiding the kitchen any time of the day or night. That carried over into my adult life. But when visiting either one of my grandparents houses -- snacking between meals just was not done. They put 3 meals on the table each day and you could eat your fill. But we were not allowed to go rummaging through the pantry any time we felt like it. That was quite a change for just one generation.

Anyway - for me the solution to the snacking problem was to stop snacking. I now eat the way my grandparents did. The 'eat when hungry' thing never worked well for me because eating often made me hungry. I do best with 3 planned meals each day. As I've forced myself into this new habit I tend to get hungry when it is time to eat. It took some work and I didn't always manage to do it -- but eventually I was able to break that bad habit of snacking between meals. That saved me several hundred calories a day and had the positive side effect of building a 12 or 13 hour fast into my daily routine (not eating from dinner until breakfast). In fact, that is where I started... not eating after 9:00pm, then not after 8:00pm, then eventually not after dinner at all. After that, I worked on eliminating any snacking between meals. I'd be lying if I said that I NEVER have a bite between meals -- but these days it really is something rare. I've formed a better habit and my body and mind have adjusted to it just fine. On the weekends, I try to eat at the same times that I eat on the weekdays. That seems to work better for me. The scale keeps moving in the right direction - and that works for me, too .

To add one more thing... this all came much later in my journey - after I was very well established with my new WOE. Rule number 1 for me as I got started was to stick with on-plan foods no matter what. 100% OP food - even if it meant eating too much food in a given day and even if it meant snacking at any time of the day or night. Doing this 100% on plan food thing got me past the food boredom period that I always got on a low carb diet. Once I was past that - the pull to eat the carby junk diminished greatly and I started enjoying what I was eating more and more. When my LC foods started to become my new favorite foods, that is when I finally felt that I had the upper hand with my eating. I'd say this took me about 6 months to accomplish. When I was finally free from the constant pull of those addictive carbs, it became possible for me to work on the bad habits (like too much snacking) that were slowing down my rate of weight loss.