Thread: Splenda Anyone?
View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:41

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

There is a four paragraph discussion regarding artificial sweeteners and Induction (assuming that's where you are) in the 2002 edition of DANDR beginning on page 128.

The Cliff Notes:
1. It is listed as the preferred one to use
2. Count the carbohydrate in the form of maltodextrin from the packet or granular forms of Splenda accordingly as part of your carb intake.

Also, there is a commonly cited rule of thumb floating out there to limit yourself to three servings of artificial sweetener per day while on Induction - whether that "one serving" is one packet of Splenda or one 12 oz can of liquid Splenda (sucralose) containing diet soda (per labeling). Some will do this and some won't, arguing liquid Splenda has no maltodextrin associated with it and therefore no carbohydrate to count.

As always, YMMV, as it will on numerous things. Like Jell-o. I'll never personally never understand why people eat or recommend to eat this on Induction because every box and pre-made cup I've seen lists aspartame and/or maltodextrin in it. Since the Induction rules say to avoid aspartame and maltodextrin is an unwanted source of carbohydrate (to me), I don't. However, I've seen bunches of people do so and still lose weight. Same with Crystal Light - which I used with wild abandon back in 2003 but have forsaken this time around.