#48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 18:28

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh_uk
" Last but most importantly, TO PUT ON WEIGHT YOU MUST CONSUME MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND! YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T."

What's a calorie, how is it measured and does the body use those calories in the same fashion that they're measured? The answers are: a) A calorie is a measure of heat. b) The amount of calories measured in food, for example, is done so in a bomb caloriemeter i.e. the food is set afire. c) No, the body doesn't use food in the same fashion as a bomb caloriemeter.

The concept of the calorie is fundamentally useless in physiology except perhaps to tell us that if we set our food afire, we'll get this much heat.

Just a quick question. Would you consider 1 kg of fatty meat per day excessive calories? If not, what would you consider is excessive calories if it comes only from fatty meat? I don't go to the gym, I don't exercise, I don't exert myself in any way, I'm essentially a lazy guy who sits around all day. So, I don't burn any excess calories. Either way, how can I continue to grow lean, i.e. lose fat, even though I eat a lot of fatty meat (and only fatty meat) and probably an excess of calories?