Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 05:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Right, but is there any scientific evidence that shows that umami causes people to overeat?
Well, your original question was, "Is MSG going to ruin my low-carb diet?" This is highly subjective, so it doesn't really matter what studies show. I'm sure there are plenty with all kinds of results (google is your friend. )

It should be self-evident that people will eat more of something if it tastes really good. I can give you a laundry list of foods that I'd have to choke down if they didn't have sweetness, salt, and/or savory-ness added to it. So it's really something you have to figure out with individual foods. I just used this example in another recent thread, but mine would be pork rinds.

For well over a decade, the only pork rinds available near me had the ingredients of pork skin, lard, salt, and nothing else. I'd never finish more than a third of a bag at a time. I just wanted them to dip in salsa and sour cream, or what not. More recently, I discovered a new brand that was seasoned with garlic powder. I finished the whole bag in one shot. I read the ingredients - MSG added. I still buy these, but I'm conscientious to not just pop open the bag when I'm hungry. I'll limit my portion and have them with guacamole or something.