View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 08:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
If we accept the premise of lean tissue being the biggest glucose sink, we still can't ignore the effect of low-carb on us today, we still can't ignore the effect of hyperglycemia on GH and then on lean tissue, we still can't ignore carbs->insulin->excess fat accumulation

I'm not sure who said we had to (or whether you're suggesting that I said that).

I don't contest

Quote:
carbs->insulin->excess fat accumulation

But don't see this as an argument vs. a role of recovery of lean mass in this.

Reduced lean mass-->reduced glucose sink, and hormonal consequences of this, and increased appetite due to a drive for recovery of lean mass, and, and, and-->insulin-->excess fat accumulation doesn't really sidestep a role for insulin.

Quote:
Let's do a thought experiment based on the Minnesota semi-starvation experiment. We put half the subjects on a low-carb diet after the experiment so they recover. Now there's two questions. Which tissue recovers quicker, lean or fat? Does any tissue grow in excess, i.e. excess fat accumulation or excess lean tissue growth

A problem for me here is that I only have the thought experiment to work from. I don't think it's clear that carbs are the problem in this particular instance, while obviously I think they are a problem in certain contexts, or what would I be doing here? As far as quicker recovery of lean mass goes, I think what there's the most evidence for here is increased, better quality protein compared to the diet they were refed (the same poor quality diet of the restriction period, but in unlimited quantities) paired with some sort of resistance training.

As far as whether a low carb diet can support excess fat growth--it can. It's far less likely to in certain contexts. Whether this is true post starvation--we may never know, unless maybe somebody looks into it as an anorexia nervosa recovery diet. My suspicion here actually generally runs in the same direction as your "tend to think," just with a little less confidence.