View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:53

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ... more ...

CREATINE Q&A

Q: I've heard that creatine causes cramping. True?

A: From research on athletes, creatine users actually cramp less then non-users. The anecdotal reports of cramping, diarrhea, etc., that seem to prevail in practice among the lay population is most likely evidence that people are either taking too much creatine at one time, taking too many simple sugars at one time, or that there are contaminants in the creatine product being ingested.

I have heard males claim that they needed 50 grams at one time, when a 5 gram dose is sufficient even for athletes who weigh in excess of 300 pounds. Bear in mind that excessive doses of creatine can cause osmotic diarrhea— this has nothing to do with the specific properties of the creatine itself, but rather the osmotic forces created by the concentration gradient (water is drawn into the lumen of the GI tract). If you experience these symptoms, back off on your creatine dosage and increase your hydration levels until they subside.

Q: What about using creatine while trying to lose excess body fat? I have heard that creatine can cause fluid retention and it isn't the best supplement to take while trying to lose body fat.
A: Creatine can allow you to train harder. It will make you gain weight but it is muscle-related and not fat-related weight, so this is a good thing.

Increasing your lean body mass will enable you to burn more calories 24 hours a day— in other words, even when you aren't training. Additionally, the initial water weight that is gained from ingesting creatine is predominantly retained in the muscle, which is why it doesn't affect blood pressure, heart rate or other cardiovascular parameters. So don't worry about the water gain.

In my professional experience with women taking creatine, they like the strength gains, but immediately associate the increases in their muscle size with being "bloated." If you can ride out the initial experience (and assuming the rest of your diet and training are appropriate) you should make noticeable improvements in your strength and body composition.

Q: What's the best time to take creatine— before or after training?

A: The prevailing data indicates that creatine before training has no effect on performance. A review of the research leads me to conclude that taking creatine after exercise is the best time. Carbohydrate/protein drinks, pinnitol, sodium, and alpha lipoic acid seem to stimulate creatine uptake either directly or indirectly.

Q: I'm hearing a lot about "creatine serum." Is this a better way to take creatine than the usual powdered variety?

A: Creatine serum is worthless. Several abstracts and lab reports have indicated there is no creatine in creatine serum!

In my conversations with people that swear it works, they claim to feel something almost immediately. This is not consistent with what we know about creatine— it must build up within the muscle cells before you can perceive an effect.

In the past, supplement companies have added niacin and/or caffeine to products to create the perception that the product is working. I don't recall seeing anything that says caffeine or niacin were found in creatine serum, but then the labs may not have looked for these agents.

Q: Any thoughts on altering creatine dose for vegetarians?

A: No, they would take the same doses as omnivores.

Q: What is the best way to use creatine on a regular basis for the weight trainer trying to gain muscle?

A: My recommendation for loading is as follows: Take .3 grams per kilogram of body weight per day. Take this amount in 4-5 divided doses. After the loading phase (4-5 days) you would take .03 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.

In my training, I have found that as little as 5 grams of creatine on workout days (3-4 times per week) is all people need to maximize performance.