#10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 07:29
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
So are you experienced at yoga at all? From your post it sounded like it was something you used to do? I just hope it gets easier. I was feeling sort of uncoordinated, but I'm just chalking that up to being new. How is it for you?

I'm actually chuckling at your quote about "downward dog". If you're not used to it, it can definitely get you!

Ok, to answer your question, I'm really not adept or experienced with yoga, but I've always believed in it. The problem was that I had back issues and years ago when I tried it (took a class and stuck with with for weeks) it was uncomfortable for me. But now that I've strenghthened my core so much, when I've tried super simple beginner yoga moves and pilates moves, I'm doing MUCH better. I'm still awaiting some other videos to try out more, though. But I just felt like I could do into the positions a LOT better than ever. That came from warming up, working out, strength training and stretching a ton on my own. If it feels like too much for you, you might want to consider waiting on it and just doing some of the moves? I'm not sure, but with time and proper strength and flexibility it does get easier. I think I'm a testament to that.

BTW, the inchworm move I've listed starts in the downward dog position. Also when I do ball bridges or anything that makes me back tender, I immediately start stretching yoga-style with the cat and child poses. So while I'm not taking an actual class, there are elements of yoga I use constantly.

You're really doing a great job. Remember it's ok to "give up" if you just can't push through that last set. There will come a time if you stay consistent and keep working, that you'll blow through those same sets and suddenly be doing more weight. Patience and focus will get you there!