View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 11:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
When a patient with cancer is calorically restricted, the amount of glucose in the blood until they are almost dead is close to normal,” said Dr. Michael Pollak, professor of medicine and oncology at McGill University in Montreal. Also, Dr. Pollak said, tumors are adept at extracting glucose from the blood. So even if glucose is scarce, he said, “the last surviving cell in the body would be the tumor cell.

I've wondered about this. I do eat very low carb, but my body still has normal to above normal blood sugar levels. It must be manufacturing its own glucose from the other things I eat because I'm not eating the carbs. So while there are plenty of other benefits of low-carb eating and avoiding sugar, it seems like if starving yourself to avoid carbs wouldn't stop the tumor from finding glucose in your body, neither would low-carbing because your body still makes some glucose, if cancer cells are that much better at extracting it from your body than healthy non-ketone-using cells that need it. Anyone have ideas about this?