View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 12:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

First let me repost what I JUST posted on the September thead- silly me hasn't been to this board since September and I forgot that this thread gets updated monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmfrog
Did you figure out what to make for the harvest holiday? (I can never remember how to say/spell that one but I remember our friends building the structure outside every year.) . I ahve a bunch of crockpot ideas but no real recipes: I like chicken stewed with artichokes and sundried tomatos, or a chicken/turkey/beef chili this time of year is great too. The ground meat can be made into small meatballs and cooked in a spanish or mexican tomato sauce. The recipe I have calls for mixing grated zuchini and mexican spices into the meat which makes for a moist meatball.
Yes, I made a bunch of things for Succos. I also asked for recipe ideas on a parenting website I frequent, and since it's an overall bigger website I got some more responses there.

I made an LC shepard's pie (somebody suggested regular shepard's pie so I made it with cauliflower in place of potatoes), a meatball stew (mixing almond meal in with the ground turkey in place of breadcrumbs), a couple of different roast chicken dishes (whole chicken stuffed with rice and surrounded by veggies- different choices of veggies and spices made for different flavors) and a beef and bean stew.

Then I got a nasty cold in the middle of Succos (the first two days are major holidays, the middle days are minor holidays, and the last two days are major holidays again. And this year the 2 days of major holidays were follwed immediately by Shabbos, 2 weeks in a row.) My throat burned so much that the only thing that felt good was carbs- not that I had many calories total but plain chicken soup just didn't go down as well as chicken soup with rice, and I NEEDED some honey in my tea!

For the last days of the holiday, I made a lot of roasted chicken (whole chickens were on sale) and some more 1-pot meals that had more carbs in them than my body is really used to. I think the homemade candy apples (so my kids don't get left out when they serve the artificially colored ones at shul) are what really did me in- a whole apple is a cheat to begin with, and when I eat one or two coated in candy it's not a good thing!

The end result is that I gained 3 lbs over the course of the week. I can't *not* serve some carbs for my kids, and it's easier for me to avoid them when they're not all in the same pot.

I'm now back to my normal eating habits and hopefully those pounds will come back off as easily as they crept on.

Lisa- I wouldn't worry too much about staying "perfectly on plan" while pg. I'm sure you're still eating much lower in carbs than the "typical" pg woman. If you're healthy and energetic and the baby's growing well, I wouldn't worry about the daily carb count OR the number on the scale.

I'm not too worried about my budget right now because I was just approved for SSI and, not only will I be getting a steady check every month, I'm owed 2 years worth of back pay! I'll be getting 6 months' worth in about 2 weeks (well, 7 month's worth since I'll get 6m worth of back pay plus November's check) plus my ex (who owes me 4m worth of child support because he's been unemployed and just started working in September) is giving me a check for 2m worth of child support later this week.

At the present moment, I have $10 in my wallet plus $300 worth of Food Stamps, but I'm going to have a lot of money soon and it's all such a relief to know that I won't be struggling so much in the future.