View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 16:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Welcome back, mmbk. It does take True Grit to get back on that wagon, so you're to be congratulated.
Quote:
given how much I suffered last week
Let me just say that a successful diet--for weight loss, weight maintenance, long life, and good health--CANNOT BE ABOUT SUFFERING.

One of the reasons I enjoyed following the "teachings" of Dr. Atkins from way back in 1972 is that he insists that a low-carbohydrate diet is about luxury, deliciousness, many choices, and self-esteem. You might enjoy picking up that original book, Dr. Atkins's Diet Revolution. My old paperback is really yellow and dog-eared by now.

For a more modern take on Atkins, I also suggest the Westman Diet developed at Duke by a follower of Dr. Atkins. It has food lists and guidance that are simple, to start, and effective long-term.

If you are suffering, you cannot sustain the endurance to stick out the long process of losing weight. It Just. Takes. Time. And when you DO get close to what you consider a healthy weight, you'll want to be eating a maintenance diet that you actually like, or guess what? You'll go back to what you used to eat, and get back all the weight you used to have.

Don't suffer. Eat real foods you like from the low-carb lists, in quantities that satisfy. That's it. Butter and bacon are included.

Bon appetit.

P. S. And give yourself some wiggle room! You're 13 years older than you were when you picked a target weight of 120, and also a mother. Get real. And please don't be in a hurry.