Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
i do have one extra freezer downstairs, so i can stock up atleast a little bit! Though i will have to freeze some meat to do so, which you dont seem to suggest. But eating meat from the freezer is better than eating veggies i am assuming? thanks.
Karen,

I have a freezer, and am glad I do. Every time I see a good buy on meat at a grocery store, I stock up and put the meat in my freezer. Also, by buying meat in bulk from farms, I have saved a lot of money. I can get fat for free from meat processors, render it, and freeze. The chicken I have ground up for my cats, I freeze. I know it would be "ideal" to eat only fresh killed animals... and eating that food raw would be the absolute best. But, this is simply unrealistic for me, and I am sure many people. If freezing meat only makes it taste a bit "off", well so be it. If it does not cause loss of nutrients, then great! I think Bear said in a previous post that freezing meat did NOT cause loss of nutrients.

Overcooking meat WILL cause loss of nutrients, to be sure. I cook most meat as rare as possible. Slow cooking things like roasts and ribs and chicken thighs and wings seem to be the exception. But, isn't it true that early humans would wrap and bury meat in the ground with hot coals and let the meat cook for like a day or two? Or is this just another myth? A "slow cooker" or "crock pot" is similar. Or cooking meat on low heat (like 225 degrees) in the oven, as long as it is in a covered dish. Is this really going to destroy the nutrients? If so, what is a better way to cook things like beef ribs, chicken wings, roasts, etc.?

Would sure appreciate some "tips" on this WOE. This is one way I will be able to "stop all the futzing and eat" this way!

Thanks!