#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-14, 13:51

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
As for health issues--I have high BP and am on medication for that. No other health issues that I know of and I am an octogenarian. Not bad for an old girl. Energy expenditure is low--walking is an issue--I fall. I do other kinds of exercises.

Westman et al in the New Atkins for a New You recommends around 84 grams of protein/day (Protein Power recommended calculation based on lean body weight is the same)and I try to get down to that. Last week's stats: Carbs 6%, Protein 24%, fat 71%. Past month stats same. Past week's average calories 1560.

I can't find my body fat % but my calculated BMI is 31.79. My goal was to lose 30 pounds. I am having trouble getting to and maintaining a 10 pound weight loss since June 28. .
Hey congratulations on being an octeganarian in good health! I want to be like you. Only 18 more years to go for me.

A couple of thoughts. I think you might just be in energy equilibrium. Your dietary calories are enough so you don't have to dip into fat stores.

Just some thoughts:

Calories 1560 -

My favorite calorie calculator doesn't go higher than 80 years old. So that tells you the calorie calculators are just guessing for oldsters.
But even so, if I put in 80 years old, and 5'6" (from your BMI at 195 pounds), and little to no exercise (scuse me if that is not right), you need around 1650 calories to maintain weight. At average daily calories 1560, that's so close that you could see no weight loss just from little overages in measuring, or an extra few bites a day.
Calorie calculator

Or thinking of it another way, with a deficit of 90 calories a day, that would take 40 days to lose a pound. So maybe you're on track after all.

Or, if your activity is more like lightly active, that's 1880 calories a day, or a deficit of 220 per day, or 16 days to lose a pound.

Protein average 85 -

I personally had a very hard time losing on Protein Power recommendations. The higher dietary protein for making glucose via gluconeogenesis, just seemed to keep me in sugar burning and not in fat burning. Protein Power had me having 30 g per meal or 90 a day, and now I do well on 60 a day. (just 2 thirds of the earlier amount). I'm only 5'2" and mucho overfat.

Lean body mass -

BMI only tells you about pounds for your height. If you have light muscles now, from being 80 and no history of strength training, your lean body mass could be 15-20% lower than what Protein Power estimates. Thus a lower need for protein. And lower calories needed overall.

You can get your lean body mass measured at a gym either if they have a dunk tank or they have people who are very good with a tape measure. The difference can be within 3% which I think is worth it (eyew getting all wet in the dunk tank }. Plus you probably don't need all that much precise measuring of protein. Somewhere between 70 and 80 would work in my opinion.

Or, you could eat just a little less fat. I wouldn't go too low because that just makes me hungry. If my body releases fat slowly that just means I lose pounds slowly and I like that much better than not losing at all, or being hungry or set up to binge (what i do after prolonged low cal)
Sponsored Links