#149   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 16:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
I used to take B vitamins and was going to try Niacin for blood pressure but there are lots of warnings that both B vitamins and Niacin raise blood sugars so I stopped B vitamins and styed away from Niacin -- any of you diabetic with no meds like me? Just wondering if the Nicacin raised BG like it says?

It is very hard to say, because:
  • A lot of these writeups are sloppy and make no mention of whether they are using the flush niacin (which is what I am taking) or the various no flush, time release, and so forth kinds; all of which affect one's results
  • I didn't test my blood sugar on niacin, but it does wonderful things for my appetite and lets me fast with ease; a sign that it is at least not messing with my blood sugar. (I am also a long time low carber and not diabetic.)
  • None of this tells us what niacin would do in YOUR body. It is becoming increasingly evident that one size does not fit all.

The more genetics are studied, the more evident it is that we vary a lot more than was previously understood. Just among the people using low carb to lose weight and improve their health, a sort of self-selection process that will set us apart from people who are healthy vegetarians and/or people who have never had a weight problem; and yet we have a lot of individual variation in what works best for us.

What part of niacin interested you?