View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 03:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I agree maybe halfway with what Martin is saying--fitness can be as much a symptom of health, as a cause of health. But that could be true of diet as well--of course eating in a certain way will be more conducive of health, but also how a person eats could be symptomatic of their physical/neurological health, as well.

Fitness and skill--here I'd throw in that effects of exercise on the brain, neural plasticity, etc. work in with the development of skill, this is also an aspect of health and wellness.

"You cannot outrun a bad diet,"--I'd like to rephrase that, to there's no exercise program you can't ruin the benefits of through diet. Can you run fast enough to make twinkies a superfood? I don't think so. Can you enhance the effects of a reasonable dietary regime, with a reasonable exercise program? I think so.

A twenty year old man adds exercise, goes from slightly more muscular than his friends to much more muscular than his friends. This might arguably be a fitness improvement rather than a health improvement. An eighty year old man, sarcopenic and osteoporotic, takes up exercise and regains some of that lost muscle and bone mass, this is arguably both a fitness and health improvement--even if you argue that more muscle isn't necessarily more health--improvements in balance and strength mean that he's less likely to fall and break something, not falling and breaking something is a pretty important contribution to health at that age. "Use it or lose it" is fitness gospel, that applies to body and brain both.