View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 06:03

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Well, here is a site with guidelines similar to Peat's: http://litalee.com/shopexd.asp?id=179 and she also focuses on healthy thyroid function as key to good health (as does Peat).

I've emailed Peat several times and was also surprised by his quick responses.

First, I can't say I am following his recommendations 100%. I tend to be an "all or nothing" kind of person which can get me into trouble as that can be UNrealistic. I am trying hard to really listen to my body AND be sensible about all of this, so in keeping with Mark Sisson's 80/20 rule http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8020-principle/ I am not going to beat myself up for deviations from Peat's guidelines, whether they be occasional splurges or tweaks to make the plan fit my life, my tastes, and my needs. And, borrowing from Cathy , have decided to prioritize my goals as such:

1. Improve thyroid function, which includes balancing other hormones, improving sleep, and raising basal body temperature
2. Find a food plan that is user friendly and that makes me feel healthy and happy
3. Lose weight
4. Incorporate more movement into my daily life, for improved flexibility, strength and endurance

…..and above all, to get on with life and not allow this WOE to grab more attention than it deserves—life is too short to not live it!

Okay, a Peat-influenced typical day (thus far):
5:00 AM coffee & HnH, small bowl of arborio rice pudding w/ HnH
8:00 AM coffee & HnH, 2 eggs, fried small potato & onions, 2 slices bacon, small glass orange juice
1:00 PM cottage cheese w/ cooked apple, a few corn tortilla chips crisped in oven, decaf iced tea w/ lemon
4:00 PM coffee & HnH, some fresh pineapple & small block of cheese
6:30 PM grilled ribeye, baked sweet potato w/ butter & cinnamon, maybe a small side of veg & butter OR small salad w/ grated carrot & EVOO vinaigrette; gelatin mixed in OJ (this keeps me full till bedtime)
water to thirst

I'm avoiding sugar like ice cream except for special treats—just too dangerous for me to have around (although my rice pudding does have a bit of real sugar in it). I had recently purchased 6 bottles of very good EVOO so I will use them up in my vinaigrettes before switching to CO. I have had success with making CO mayo—here's the recipe:

Mayonnaise
Makes 1 generous cup

2 egg yolks

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)

2 teaspoons unseasoned rice or white wine vinegar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 cup liquid coconut oil (melt in bowl of warm water, do not nuke)

Put the egg yolks, salt, mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar in the food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to combine well. Remove the feed tube, if it is still in place. Run the machine and pour the oil through the feed tube in a thin (less than ¼ inch wide), steady stream until completely incorporated. The mixture will thicken as the oil gets worked in, and the sputtering will diminish by the time the sauce becomes super thick and creamy. It should take 2 to 3 minutes to add the oil.

If the mayonnaise seems overly stiff, work in water by the teaspoon. Taste and adjust the flavor for extra salt and mustard, pulsing the machine to blend the ingredients. Transfer to an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for up to a 2 weeks. To maintain freshness beyond 2 weeks, add 1 Tbs. whey (drained from yogurt)

Variations:
Creamy Vinaigrette–just add 3 parts mayo to 1 part vinegar of choice and whisk together
Tartar Sauce–just add capers, chopped pickles, grated onion, parsley, and pinch of cayenne pepper