#1157   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 08:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose
Clarification: BMR, yes basal metabolic rate. Minimal calories to survive doing nothing but sleeping 24/7. Mine is about 1300.

TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Total calories you expend based on your sex, age, and activity level. Mine is about 1900.

Subtract 200 from that 1900, not 200 from 1300 to get a good daily calorie goal to start losing weight. We have been taught for so long to eat low cal and exercise to lose weight, which usually does work at first, but not long term. We actually need to eat more calories, and apparently more protein from what I am reading if we are to keep our muscle mass as we lose weight...and that fits in nicely with low carb...I am supposed to eat about 125-140 g protein daily.

Thanks for the clarification, cactusrose. Another clarification - livinright's plan is not necessarily 200 calories below BMR, it is within 200 calories so just as easily could be 200 calories over.

That said, your plan is indeed different. What energy expenditure calculator are you using? I found one online which seemed quite precise - you dial in the minutes of various activities done during the day. It came up with 1300 BMR for me (about what all of them say) and 24-2700 for TDEE. Never in my life have I been able to eat that much without gaining. I can't imagine it is right. I'd like to compare with another calculator, at which point I may experiment with it a bit. And if you are eating JUDDD, the up days are at your TDEE and down days lower? By how much?

And, reading your tag line, do I understand that you basically cycle up and down 10-15 lbs per year?

Sorry for all the questions. I have always been leery of long term calorie restriction because I know it slows metabolism. Dr Jason Fung talks about it on his IDM site and I'd love to learn more about it from another perspective.