Progress: 99%
Default Re: What is "low carb" ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
What makes a low carb plan "low carb"?

Nat

What makes these plans LC? The restriction they place on carbohydrates? Yes

Can it be that simple? Yes

If it is, why are there so many variations. Money. The diet industry is a multi billion dollar industry. Copycats appear anytime there is a place to make money. And it's not necessarily driven only by the authors and inventors and producers - but the publishers and investors as well. George Carlin once said "Nail 2 things together that have never been nailed together before, and some schmuck will buy it from you."

If tomorrow I stopped eating rice, corn and flour but changed no other dietary habits, would I have invented the "Nat LC Plan"? Yes, you could have and you still can. You can't copyright a recipe or any food combinations. You can only copyright what you invent. None of the low carb authors have invented a new food. Butter is not new.

Perhaps the question should be "What is LC". Is low carb simply eating less carbs? Is it just about diet? Low carb as a phrase, to me means only about diet. I eat low carb style. The program I followed was called "Atkins". I have incorporated low carb style eating into my lifestyle which I think of as simply "healthy" and well adjusted. No fanatical obsessions, lots of variety and good choices in exercise, spirituality, introspection, social activities, a good dose of elbow grease applied against anything worthy of my attention, and a bit of slap and tickle every once in a while. I can say that when I started out and well into my weight loss plan I focussed very much on being "a low carber" and using that phrase to represent the whole me. But since at goal, my focus has shifted to simply living life to its fullest just for me. I don't compete with anyone.

Good topic Nat. Are you taking up philosophy by chance?