View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-24, 08:56

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Aside from not drinking coffee to begin with (love how it smells, hate the taste), the lack of a significant amount of protein in bullet-proof coffee - to me that would mean no satiation.

I need that combo of a significant amount of protein along with enough fat to achieve satiation. If it's just protein, I'll still be hungry. Just fat alone doesn't do anything for me either.

The fat in a satiating meal provides more calories - after all a gram of fat has more than twice the calories of a gram of protein. So even a plain egg has almost twice as many calories from fat as the number of protein calories.

This part was interesting:

Quote:
Drewnowski had fifty college students taste and rate fifteen different formulations of cake frosting in which the sugar and fat content was varied. The tasters could taste and quantify the sugar content of each sample quite accurately, but not the fat content; the participants in his study found it difficult to detect its presence with any precision.

"On top of that, when sugar was added to the fattier formulations, the students mistakenly thought the fat had been reduced. In effect, the fat had gone into hiding.

This explains why my naturally skinny friend always declared a lot of sweet stuff to be too sweet. She also couldn't stand dietary fat - or at least thought she hated the taste and texture of dietary fat.

There's one grocery store in the area that their in-store bakery uses a frosting that's not as sweet, so she liked cakes from that bakery much better than any others - I tried to explain to her that since frosting only has 2 main ingredients (fat and sugar), then if it wasn't as sweet, that just meant it had a higher percentage of fat. She didn't recognize the frosting as the fatty stuff she hated - just said it was good because it wasn't as sweet. (and stuck to her guns about that the rest of her life)

Same with Cinnabon rolls - she hated the frosting - too sweet for her, but she loved the cinnamon, which I'm sure she wasn't aware was a mixture that mostly consisted of a lot of sugar and fat, with only a bit of cinnamon to provide what she perceived as the primary flavor.