View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Natrushka
I keep coming back and reading your article again and get a bit more info each time, also a few uhhuh moments.
I was watching Dr. Nicholas Perricone on public television last night. The discussion was The Beauty Brain Connection. He is very interesting, he has a couple of books out, one I know is the Wrinkle Cure. One of the points he made was insulin and cortisol are the death hormone's. Too much of either of these hormones and you have problems. I would love to get the tape of the program or his latest books he is very interesting. One of the points he made that freaked me out is that too much cortisol actually shrinks your brain. This has been proven by studying people who have been put under incredible stress, as in POW's.
It also thins your skin, hence the wrinkles and aging!
I have to give others on this board credit for choosing great doctors. Or I would like to know what approch they take to get these doctors to run many of these tests to begin with!
Interesting in your article that cortisol inhibits T4 from converting to T3. When my thyroid has been tested docs always tell me it is in the normal range, end of story. It was only a while back that I learned about the T4-T3 conversion. I also did research on Insulin Resistance (of course) Estrogen Dominance and PCOS and Adrenal Fatique. It is a vicious circle!
I do not mean to go on and on here without making a point, I think my brain has in fact shrunk
I started taking natural progesterone cream 1 1/2 years ago after reading Dr Lee's What your Doc won't tell you about Premenopause! I had been suffering with anxiety amoungst other things, worse as I got older. I believe because of estrogen imbalance. I also started to take an Adrenal support supplement and drinking licorice tea. L-Glutamine was something I have started to take again for sugar cravings but I thought it was interesting that it is beneficial lower cortisol.
There is so much more to learn on this subject but it does explain a lot to me.
I have a new doc and she is going to help me out with this Thyroid, Adrenal, hormone function. Maybe I will be able to keep my thought in order then too.
Thanks all