Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/181/143 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Only contaminated meats have bacteria that can kill you, just like contaminated vegetables have bacteria that can kill you..

Generaly, bacteria will be ON the fruit and veg,which you will obviously wash prior to eating. But once the bacteria is in meat, that's it. Which is why you have to cook meat toprevent any desease, apart from MadCowDs and perhaps some worms.

Quote:
I have read numerous health articles that say that vegetables must be throughly washed before eating to remove bacteria and pesticide residue. .

OBVIOUSLY! isnt that something that all mothers teach kids when they are 3 ??? Washing anything you put in your mouth is obviously of the upmost improtance especially something that has been living outside, and outside is hardly clean! I assumed washing veggies (as well as one would hands) is pretty obvious???!!!

Quote:
Mad cow disease is extremly rare. More people die from eating poisonous mushrooms each year than from mad cow. .

That is completely different. Its like comparing laptops and Volvo's.Nothing to do with each other. Poisonous mashrooms are poisonous by nature,NOT becuase someone has put the poison in them,or becuase they have been infected by some bacteria. People who collect the mashrooms for human use SHOULD know better. I know that,it was my grandfathers job. Mad cow desease is caused by a germ,and it can be easily prevented by cow vaccination, which for some extremely odd reason British goverment has refused to do in the past, hence the last outbreak few yrs ago!

Quote:
Yes, meats have more saturated fats than most vegetables, but what does that have to do with what was being discussed? .

How is it not? We are discussing why vegetables are important, a must ,and a healthier option then meat.

Quote:
Vegetables contain no vitamin B12. That vitamin only comes from meat sources..

Agreed.I missed that one. But you can easily eat diary products to make up for it, without the need to eat meat.

Quote:
Whether vegetables are tastier than meats is a personal preference. In my experience, most childern do not like to eat vegetables, but readily eat meat. .

I think that's becuase we are forcing them to eat vegetables and not forcing them to eat meat. Kids are resentfull by nature. Also in many countries people simply boil or steam vegetables which then tastes like yukky water. If you want your kidsto eat veggies, make them tasty. Put some lemon on salads. Make veggie casseroles with some meat. Eastern Europian cuisine is full of amazingly tastefull vegetable casseroles and dishes, which may or may not contain meat,especially as meat is hugely expensive over there.

Quote:
Cooking meats, just like cooking vegetables can make some nutrients more absorbable..

Like what? I can;t see anything in veggies needing to be cooked,to be easier to absorb. In fact fibre is reccomended. I could be wrong, so welcome more input on this.

Quote:
There is no problem with bacteria in meat, unless it has been contaminated. Just like there is no problem with bacteria in vegetables, unless they have been contaminated. The contamination comes from the food handling/processing system and is due to human mistakes, not due to an intrinsic property of the meat or vegetable. Not all meat is contaminated, just like not all vegetables are contaminated..

I completely agree. It would be nicein ideal world where people wash hands before touching food,or store slaughtered animals in adequate conditions.But we both know many dont.In fact I refuse to eat in restaurant,cos most men do notwash their hands after going to the loo, and simply continue cooking with them.

So the fact of the life is , most veggies you can wash'n'go. Most meat you can;t be sure even if you yourself bread and slaughtered the animal to eat. Which is why we MUST cook meat, while we can get away with just washing veggies.

Quote:
I think that previous posts have put the rest the vitamin C controversy, but as a counter two words to you: vitamin B12.

Fair enough