#7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 13:39
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Cyn,

Congratulations!!!! It is super hard to make the decision to quit smoking. I smoked since I was about 16. It was "cool" at that time but I think everyone else that thought it was cool stopped but I didn't. I just kept smoking and smoking for 22 years. One day I woke up and said that is it! I am done. I hate the smell, the stigma, the everything. So I quit, but like you, I was thinking about it all the time. I had the "patch" years ago. It didn't work and I didn't want a "gimmick" because I always hear of people that quit for good never used anything like nicotine gum or candy. Well I was lost because I felt like I could pick up a cigarette in a second. I went to my book store and went to the self help isle thinking there has to be something like self hypnotism. Might be crazy but I was looking for anything to stop the cravings.

I found a book called The Easyway to quit smoking by Allen Carr. I picked it up and thought at least I wouldn't be reading it while smoking. I never wanted a cigarette again after reading it. I can't describe the book but it helped me so much. I probably could have quit without reading it but it made it easier.

Now the smell makes me gag. My husband smoked but when I quit he smoked outside because he didn't want to trigger me to smoke again. I was just glad because the smell made me sick. He quit 4 months later. Now it has been over 2 years. I always hear of people relapsing and that scares me but I can honestly say that I really have no cravings. It is so strange to be a non smoker now because I always had a cigarette in my hand.

You could try the book but I think you are doing well. If your DH could smoke outside it might help you. Also, there are the "triggers" you get. Some always smoke with coffee or driving or after eating. Finding different things to do during those times might help. Gum always makes me want to eat so I never did that but the cravings really did stop fast and they came in "waves" and I would say to myself, it will pass.

But you took the first step and it is hard!!! Most of my friends that smoke say they will never quit because they enjoy it. Well in Chicago a pack of cigarettes is 10 bucks. Nothing to enjoy there. LOL. I have a step father with emphysema and he still smokes and won't ever quit. You are really taking charge of your life. That is something to be really proud of.

Good luck!!!

Lisa