#506   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 21:19

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
...And the fruit that our ancestors had was not even sweet at all. So, I doubt they would have eaten them at all (except, as you say, during lean times).

Oh, come on, Deano. I can't let this one get by. Lots of wild fruit is sweet. Wild strawberries, blueberries, raspberries are all sweet. Yes, our domestication of most fruits has lead to larger, sweeter fruits, but that doesn't mean the wild varieties are not naturally sweet.

I still think our ancestors were opportunistic eaters with meat giving the greatest bang for the buck, but I doubt everyone hunted, someone had to stay back and take care of the kids who can't go on hunts. While they're sitting back at the home site (permanent or migratory) do you think they wouldn't bother gathering ripe berries right around the site or gathering fruit fallen around trees? There were calories literally ripe for the picking, available with little to no effort and I can't imagine them passing them by.

The facts are, our physiogomy is omnivorous, our teeth and digestive system are between herbivores and carnivores. When most of your energy expenditure is centered around food acquisition, you're not going to pass up free food when it comes your way, whether it be a rotting carcase or ripe fruit. I haven't seen any scientific evidence yet that proves we're supposed to be purely carnivorous, and lots to show that we're omnivorous. All of our closest relatives in the animal kingdom are opportunistic eaters and omnivorous.

Plane
"You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts."