View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-17, 04:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bill, I am so sorry to hear that your wife's biopsy has some cancer cells, but know this is the worse time in the whole journey, because you do not yet know what kind it is, what stage, what the plan should be, you are both reeling emotionally, etc. 11 years ago this weekend I was diagnosed with breast cancer and for weeks I researched every detail while my husband provided the emotional support to pull me back from the edge when thinking the worst.

Agree with all Verbena wrote about going to the appointments to take notes...or the new version...take a video or audio record the sessions with doctors with your phone. Take Home copies of all reports, get them before you leave an office, because (and this is highly recommended) you may want to get a second opinion.
Treatments are always changing, a lumpectomy with sentinel nodes checked, is often the first step unless the MRI is conclusive that it has spread. Different length, often shorter, protocols for radiation. Chemo therapy is not always required. Be prepared for the doctor to offer your wife options and make her own choices (this is what threw me the most!). Look for a center where the whole cancer team meets to discuss the case. At this point, after diagnosis, the surgeon is key, use one that specializes in breast surgery and has good reviews. Your thoughts about which doctor to use will also be helpful to her...why you need to meet them all.

Once the extent and kind of cancer is known, doctors selected, treatment protocols laid out...then it is just executing the plan. That is when you can be strong and focused, it is easier when this immediate uncertainty has been removed. It really does get better when you have a treatment plan in print, with a timeline, executed by docotors you trust.

The ASCO website for patients https://www.cancer.net has everything you need to understand the diagnosis, help you keep records of the medical visits, organize bills and insurance (you will get much help with this from hospital or doctor's office manager..don’t worry about this aspect but don’t lose the paperwork either) You can help her by digging into this site to understand the steps ahead. You can read about MRIs and ultrasound for breast cancer and be prepared for her next visit, know how they are read and what the next step may be. https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/breast-cancer You will find many other on-line resources for breast cancer, but this is one many oncologists use, ASCO brochures are often given out in the office...so you'll be a step ahead to read them here.

Also, there is much information in the Coping with Cancer section about how to be a good caregiver. Know that you will be great at it! https://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer

Wishing that you and your wife only hear the best of news along each step of this journey.