View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-13, 16:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ok, what I have found is that the brand of coconut milk used makes a huge difference.

Thai brand coconut milk has the first ingredient as coconut, and the second as water. It tends to separate in the can, and the creamer made from this separates in the fridge, but whitens the coffee better and more smoothly.

The "light" Thai coconut milk is made with water as the first ingredient and coconut milk as the second. There are less carbs, and also less seperation in the can. The less carbs are prob mostly just to the product being watered down. I haven't tried making the primal creamer from this yet, so can't attest to how is turns out.

Chaokoh coconut milk is made from coconut extract. I have found no separation in the can, and no separation in the primal creamer recipe. The whitening is much less in the coffee, and it seems more creamer is needed to achieve the same result as the Thai brand. However, the Chaokoh is cheaper and slightly lower in carbs.

I am interested in trying the coconut cream or milk from Wilderness Family Naturals, as they are my favorite company for coconut products, but they have a huge issue with being out of stock constantly so have been unable to buy any recently. There also is a Trader Joe's coconut cream that could be promising, but since we don't have the store locally, I would have to purchase online.