View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-10, 11:55

Plan: Medifast
Stats: 194.6/175.2/165.0 Female 62.5
BF:Make goal by Aug13
Progress: 66%

I have a problem with the whole "low GI" theory in general.

My son is a Type 1 diabetic and his reaction to carbs has taught me a lot.

In my healthy 16 year old's non-insulin resistant son's body, a carb is a carb is a carb. His body reacts to sugar carbs exactly the same no matter what form that carb comes in. (Fiber is "free", but all sugar carbs raise his BG in the same way.)

The diabetes educators insist that if he only eats low GI carbs, his BG will rise gradually and whisper back to earth like a feather.

BS.

We've tested it. He's eaten 15g of carbs in the form of fast carbs and we've tested every 5 minutes for an hour to see how much and fast it's risen. We've done it with slow carbs, too. The ONLY difference is that the sharp rise in BG may happen later with low GI foods, but there's still a dramatic rise over a short period of time.

Does my body care if it's being hit hard with sugar at 15 minutes or 30 minutes?

I don't think so.

(If anyone's irritated with me "experimenting" on my kid, don't be. We started this whole thing to figure out his changing insulin needs so we could get him in better control. We did part two of the experiment because the advice given by the diabetes educators wasn't working and we were trying to figure out why.)