#21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:27

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
The other disconnect I'm getting about OD is that the 1/ 2.5/ .8 based on optimal weight seems to be putting it in a lower-calorie diet, which is not the impression I get from reading various newspaper articles about the "Polish Atkins." It seems from one video interview that those women, who look very tiny by the way, ate some 200+ g fat per day; and the sample diets at Homodiets are all around 250 g F and about 2500-3000 calories.

Yes, I have this same issue in my mind. The ratio of 1/2.5/.8 definitely puts this in a "calorie-restricted diet" category in my mind. If I use 140 pounds for my 'ideal weight' I get gram numbers of:
64/160/51, which in calories equals 256/1440/204, or 1900 calories
if I use 150 pounds my gram numbers are:
68/170/54, which in calories is 272/1530/216, or 2018 calories

so that's a pretty narrow range, not even 100 calories between the two. I mean clearly 1900-2000 is not a 1200-calorie diet, yet it's still a pretty stringent caloric restriction. Even the rabid low fat site of "Sparkpeople" (which my company's fitness program directed me too) told me I should be eating 2200-2400 calories a day to lose weight! And I thought I had read somewhere that at his clinic Dr. K put *all* the patients on a 3000 calorie-a-day diet for the sake of ease. Yet clearly his patients must have been of many sizes, ages, heights, weights, states of health, and at least two genders.

And as for worrying about using either 140 or 150 as my 'ideal' weight - well from the numbers above the margin between the two is *very narrow*. 4 grams of protein. I know it all adds up, but 4 grams is *tiny*. An ounce of meat is about 28g. Have you put an ounce of meat on a scale? There is not much to it. 4g is less than *one bite*. I don't think I can even accurately measure to that level of granularity.

I'm willing to buy the premise that excess protein is a problem for me. I've seen a 5-pound drop and a PLUMMET in my blood sugar numbers since cutting the protein. I agree that eating a 14-oz steak will certainly wreck more havoc on my body than a 4-oz steak.

But truly, is eating a 4.1-oz steak instead of a 4-oz steak going to send my metabolism into a tailspin? Who can even measure that difference? I have trouble comprehending that even a damaged metabolism can have tolerances that low, or who could stay alive as long as a week?

Quote:
But I think you're also right in that if one is used to eating LOTS of protein (and I'm one too, especially since I raise my own of all kinds of meat)it's probably easier to step into OD slowly

Tee hee, going low protein for you must be kind of like a former friend who was trying to give up carbs, and who was a professional pastry chef! I hope you have a big freezer.

Quote:
Just do the best you can.

Exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to concentrate on the ratios and come as close as I can manage. From my weight and blood sugar numbers it seems I'm managing pretty well so far. This plan *is* more complicated than I'm really happy with, but the proof is in the pudding (sugar-free pudding of course!) so far. And like any new discipline, I'm convinced it will become easier and more like second nature the longer I persist.