View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-17-17, 22:02

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

EEEK. I'm a T2, and my doctor's office is affiliated with a research lab that does drug testing. Currently they are trying to recruit T2's currently on metformin only for a new diabetes drug study and asked me if I would be interested. I teetered a bit as you get paid $50/month and as a retiree on a limited income the idea of $$$ sounded good. But the idea of testing drugs scares me too as you see so many results like this!

The trial is called SUSTAIN 8 and it's stated purpose is:
Quote:
The purpose of this clinical trial is to compare the safety and efficacy of two trials products (semaglutide and canagliflozin) in patients who have only received metformin as a treatment for their type 2 diabetes.
So what are these products? The pamphlet also says:
Quote:
For SUSTAIN 8 two different diabetes treatments will be compared, semaglutide and canagliflozin. Semaglutide is a drug under development by Novo Nordisk and works by mimicking the effect of the naturally occurring gut hormone GLP-1, which increases the level of insulin in the blood, thereby helping control blood sugar levels. Canagliflozin works by blocking a protein in the kidneys called SGLT-2 that transports sugar from the urine and back to the bloodstream. Canagliflozin is an approved treatment for type 2 diabetes developed by Janssen Pharmaceuticals under the trade name Invokana
Hmm, well I'm a Dr. Fung fangirl, and he makes a good case that increasing insulin is the last thing T2s need to do, and now this new news about drug number two! I'm sorry for the folks who have agreed to be part of this study.