#37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 22:29

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
1. Do you eat organic or grass-fed meat, and free-roam chickens, and wild-caught fish, or do you buy your meat/fish in a regular grocery store.

I do a mix. Last month I got about 20 pounds of grass-fed chuck roast because it was on sale. It's really good in the crock pot. I've slowly grown to prefer grass-fed hamburger, although I usually eat it with homemade mayonnaise to increase the fat.

I have a nagging feeling that poultry gives me diarrhea. I don't want to confront the possibility because my chicken-fat mayonnaise is the best I've ever made. But I wonder if the main problem is that wheat is included in most "higher-quality" poultry feed. In theory, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it might explain why pastured poultry makes me feel even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
2. If you eat conventional meat, are you concerned about getting an unbalance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 Fatty Acids from eating feedlot beef/confined chickens/eggs/farmed fish, which are totally different from animals raised before 1930? Do you take Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements? Other supplements?

Yeah, I'm concerned about it, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I've tried a couple fish oil supplements, but all they seem to do is upset my stomach, so all I take now is Vitamin D.

Quote:
3. How is your general health? Is it fine, or do you have any ongoing issues?

I've had ongoing issues for years, even though I've been GF and low-carbing for 4 years, and never went above Atkins induction levels. The worst is stomach gas - I have bouts of burping every day and often get mild cramps from the gas. I seem to get glutened every month or two from the tiniest possible exposure. It's easy to focus on these little things, but I have to remind myself of all the big improvements I've experienced too. Even though they're mostly a matter of degree, they are significant.