Old Sat, Jul-22-17, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Just Low Carb
Stats: 320/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. I don't keep it around often any more, but when I did, I liked to use it for stir fries and any other dishes in which I didn't want the taste of butter in the final product. I also liked it for frying up burgers, fish, etc that was too lean and/or didn't have enough fat of its own. (I buy whatever's on sale and sometimes it's extra-lean ground beef.)

I used it to make biscuits for the non-LCer of the house, too.

The good news is, since it's rendered and the water is cooked out, it'll last a really long time in your fridge.

You could try making soap out of it.

I have the same problem with bacon grease now. We eat a lot of bacon and I hate wasting the leftover fat, but I don't want everything tasting like bacon. Maybe I should make more bacon mashed cauliflower, etc. I tried the bacon mayo once, but it was pretty wasteful because we might have used a few Tbsps of it, and we were sick of it (and it doesn't keep very long.)

You're confirming what I was already thinking, looks like I probably won't have a lot of use for lard. But i'm sure I can find someone that would love it and give it to them

I can't think of a single thing that I wouldn't want to taste more like butter or bacon, lol. But I do understand what you were saying about added bacon grease just making it too greasy, kind if a gross feeling in your stomach if it gets to be too much.