View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-16, 12:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I tend to relax a bit over the holidays, eating more paleo than LC, though allowing dairy since I don't seem to have any issues with it. The carbs are higher than I usually eat, but I avoid sugar, grains, the more starchy veggies, and I limit my portions. I search my favorite food blogs, and over the last few years have collected a file of acceptable-to-me recipes. I usually add in a few of the family traditional dishes for the non LCers, but not so much anymore, since mashed celery root goes over just as well with my lot as mashed potato. I find that trying to make LC copies of old favorites is not always a successful idea, but, luckily, my family holiday traditional dishes were never terribly high carb to begin with - The big ones were mashed potato (celery root or cauliflower, or rutabaga are all acceptable instead), gravy (not that hard to make lower carb), stuffing (I found an interesting fruit and nut stuffing at Mark's Daily Apple that has gone over well; have also recently found one made with parsnips and mushrooms that looks interesting) and pumpkin pie (lots of LC recipes out there; I just make my traditional one, which the family loves, and limit myself to a tiny slice with lots of whipped cream. My choice, of course, and not necessarily a good one for anyone else.)
Going non traditional, as bluesinger says, is also an option. This year I will be roasting duck, as my brother does not like turkey.
As for cranberry sauce, this is one I've been making for more than 35 years (my father was still alive, and loved it). It's not for everyone, and my DH won't eat it, but the rest of the family loves it. 1/2 cup sugar is way too much IMO; I whittled that down to a spoonful of honey, and now use a sugar substitute; this is NOT meant to be sweet.
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/16/16522...tambergs-relish