#5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 21:33

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAC
I'm prediabetic, not full diabetic, but still have to watch for low blood sugar.
I walk at the gym, and do strength training, usually 3-4 days out of the week.
I also take my blood sugar before and after exercise. I get to the gym about 7:30am.

Anyone know how many carbs I should be eating if I'm going to exercise? I normally walk 1 1/2 miles, but have been known to walk 3-5 also. I was fine when I was eating breads like everyone else, but now since I'm fully back on Atkins, I'm finding more issues with exercise and blood sugar balancing. I do, however, have my Dr's blessing in this.

Any ideas would be great. And what should I be eating, carb wise, to keep the blood sugar stable. I noticed the last time I dropped 21 points glucometer wise in an hour and 20 min. (1 mile 3 laps). So I know I need to eat enough that the sugar burn off won't effect me so bad.

There is not one form of carbohydrate that will allow your blood sugar to remain stable. All of them cause it to rise. The only difference is how fast this will happen. The more refined, the faster it happens. The more bio-available, the faster it happens.

The problem with low blood glucose is later on, when you still produce too much insulin to cover the carbs you eat. This lowers your blood glucose too low. The solution is to avoid carbohydrate. Maybe for a week or two. Maybe forever.

Instead of carbohydrate, which you shouldn't eat anyway because you're pre-diabetic, you should consider fat as the fuel to power your workouts. Preferably animal fat like lard or beef tallow or a plan old rib steak with a nice marbling and a layer of fat.