Thread: Get your salt!
View Single Post
  #171   ^
Old Wed, May-15-13, 06:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I suspect that many non-LC people who eat "healthy" or paleo are also consuming fewer than 3,000 milligrams of sodium a day, since they are likely to follow the nutritional advice to reduce salt to under 2300 mg or 1500 mg, the lower the better (those who eat fast food & junk food all day don't tend to listen to nutritional advice). No wonder they fall face first into the potato chips when they "go off" their diets. It may also explain why LCers often crave cheese, one of the saltier "permitted" foods for those who tolerate dairy.

I've been making sure I get enough potassium & magnesium and drink plenty of water since I first read Protein Power in 2000, but it wasn't until I read Volek & Phinney last year that I learned of the importance of salt. In the previous 40 years of dieting I never added salt to anything and mostly ate real foods made from scratch. Since I'm not a fan of bouillon or MSG, the first 2 weeks after V&P I actually carried around a tiny vial of salt to make sure I got enough until I trained myself to eyeball how much to add.

Since I've been logging everything I eat into software (DietPower) since 2003, I can see that my food provides only 700-1500 mg/day of sodium, so I've added salt to my "favorite" food list.