#12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 14:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I am , by far, not an athlete. However, the older I get I like to make some athetic endeavors a part of my life's journeys. I participated in a 5K run about 15 years ago. I came in "BUTT LAST" and pretty much walked the entire distance. I had tried to prepare for this but I did a sucky job. I participated in the carb-loading party that took place the night before.

I was in my mid-thirties at that time. Fast-forward: before turning fifty, I wanted to do another 5K "run", especially since I decided to become a low carber. This time I trained and was able to run completely run the distance of 5 kilometers, albeit slowly. I didn't care, I just wanted to be able to do it. When the time came to do the run, not only did I run the entire distance, I did it following protein-loading, I was older, and I was heavier. Yes, I was heavier runner then than when I did this in my thirties and carb-loading.

I am going to try and do another run this year because, not only am I getting older ( dam, I hate when that happens ) but now I combine LC with IF. I exercise while during my fasting period and my body responds well to that. I have been walking 30 minutes to an hour on a daily basis. My running isn't much faster than my walking. Having a goal like this keeps me physically active. It's all good.

I find my weight is fairly meaningless when it comes to how fast I am - training and overall health is way more of a factor. Running three miles straight twice in your life already puts you ahead of the vast majority of the population in terms of grit and determination to be active and physically, well, capable. I can't wait to hear about your next race!