View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-18, 19:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Frankly, I don't know why the insulin topic is so controversial. There seems to be little argument that insulin is a fat storage hormone, yet some people really want to put it all on personal responsibility and self control.

There is a "success story" countdown on Dietdoctor.com. The post yesterday (HERE ) was about how tweaking the diet broke a stall and lead to weight loss. I found the comments more interesting than the story. Lots of folks posted about watching how much they eat - eating less - being a critical part of LCHF success. I don't disagree with that, at least for some people (me included). But one commenter posted this...

Quote:
Hans

January 16 2017 2

This (like the Kevin Hall study) is another example that shows its not about "insulin insulin insulin".

Keto or LCHF helps to eat less but in the end you also have to actually eat less.
I love this story because with keto I lost a lot of weight and got to normal weight, but when I'm not careful and eat e.g. out of stress and not out of hunger I just as easily regain weight, even with strict carb restriction

I agree with the last line in the comment. I can easily gain eating low carb as well. But why should this invalidate insulin as a significant factor. When I eat even a few too many carbs I am driven to eat more. I lose all control. I suspect insulin is the culprit. When I am careful about the carbs, then eating within reason becomes possible. It is not automatic. So to some extent, personal responsibility is in play. Now that I know how I have to eat to have a reasonable sense of control it is on me to make sure that it happens. Understanding what insulin does in my body and how I seem to have a hyper response to carbs arms me with the knowledge that I need to stay in control of my eating.

It may not be all about insulin, insulin, insulin for everybody. Some people get hyper when they eat sugar. Carbs make me want to take a nap. Perhaps some people get fat simply because they like their carbs too much and they make no attempt at moderation. I've been trying to moderate my whole life. It doesn't work when I'm eating too many carbs. Something else besides personal responsibility was always egging me on to keep eating. For me I think it was insulin.