Old Tue, Oct-26-10, 06:27
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane
Where exactly did you get your information from regarding brain inflammation as being the cause of depression?

According to the forbes list of depression rates/countries, Nigeria comes out as the lowest rate of depression amongst the countries surveyed. The USA comes out at the top of the list. Do these Nigerians take omega 3 and magnesium supplements i wonder, I wouldn't assume they would be deficient in vitamin d?

The whole theory regarding nutritional deficiencies, neurotransmitters, low serotonin as the cause of depression is a hypothesis. The only drawback to this neat sounding theory is that it is almost completely unsupported by empirical evidence or scientific studies.

Why would cognitive behaviour therapy, distraction therapy, psychotherapy all be effective in treating anxiety and depression if there were such a nutritional deficiency or chemical imbalance?????

This whole theory reminds me of when I started the Atkins 13 years ago and how everyone forced their views on me about how eating all this fat would make me fat and how I'm more likely to get heart disease and a heart attack. How wrong were they.

Dont get me wrong, I do believe in nutritional deficiencies, but believing one size fits all shoes isn't viable as each individual persons depression is unique, and from what I have researched, it's far from nutritional deficiencies as a cause, it's more to do with environmental factors what contribute to a persons state of mind, which creates thought patterns that then become habitual.

Yes with very poor healthcare, very low life expectancy and a culture of violence, corruption and oppression, Nigerians are all running to their doctors reporting mild - moderate symptoms of depression. The forbes figures only give you reported cases which are affected by many things including stigma, culture, availability and accessibility of health care.

Lee