View Single Post
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 08:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Colin Champ's post is a very good read and illustrates how the thing called a "Mediterranean Diet" has become so distorted by our helpful health agencies trying to impose the same agenda on everyone by simply using a new term. It requires people who want to maintain health to develop a keen awareness of BS, as it seems to abound with these nutritional recommendations. Even as things seem to change, they really are the same. How many actually realize this?

It's comforting to know that Italian cuisine does not skimp on meat and fat. Champ's summary is enlightening on the "real" cuisine consumed in parts of Italy:

Quote:
The Mediterranean Diet – In Conclusion

The Mediterranean Diet – at least according to Italy, the country ensconced by the Mediterranean Sea – is certainly anything but low-fat. Delicious nutrient-dense foods, full-fat cheeses, meats, organ meats, and fish dominate. Bread, pasta, and pizza is present, but pale in comparison to the Olive Garden and other pathetic American attempts to categorize what Italians really eat. If you can muster the time and money, go to Southern Italy. The people are friendly, the food and wine is delicious, and the blend of culture, nature, and incredible views are life-changing.

His post is very thorough, touching on several topics of nutrition, and definitely worth the read. Thanks for the link, Janet.

Edited to add: As a related footnote, I recently posted my impression of the movie, "The Big Fat Fix" in another thread. I was very disappointed in this weak presentation of a healthy lifestyle, as it touted a "Mediterranean Diet" that was difficult to achieve by many, and it was extremely vague as the movie showed Dr. Aseem Malhotra and Donal O'Neill wining and dining around Italy while discussing health. I enjoyed O'Neill's two previous movies, "Cereal Killers" and "Cereal Killers II", but this movie seemed to be "mailed in", and I'm still not sure what was the primary message and agenda intended. It was extremely underwhelming. My two cents.