Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Do you think this could be successfully adapted to dairy-free? I could use coconut cream in place of the mayo and cream but gosh there sounds like there's a lot of cheese in/on it! Is this a major part of the flavour, or do you think it wouldn't be missed if I omitted it??

TIA

e

Real mayo has no dairy in it, just egg and a good quality oil. The cheese is a big part of the flavour and texture, so it wouldn't be the same or anywhere near without the cheese, I think. Perhaps a vegan cheese product would be a better idea than just removing the cheese. It rather depends on why you want to remove the dairy. If a mild to moderate lactose intolerance, you can use cheese, most of the lactose is gone. If a casein intolerance, then a vegan substitute would work better.

And coconut cream? I think the flavour would be wildly altered, unless you got some other strong flavours in there. If you can handle cream cheese, this might make a better substitute, thinned a little bit, and there are vegan alternatives for that, too. I personally like a lot of diced green onion with a mixture like this, perhaps that would help with the flavour.

Good luck.